Subject: ???????Brachypelma albiceps (Mexican golden red rump tarantula)????
Location: Sierra Vista AZ
Found crossing the road tonight.
One person said it’s protected and I should let it go.
The other said it depends on species.
It looks funky – is it a egg sac? Then I must let it go where there are no roads.
A few tarantula species are protected under CITES.
I just want to do the right thing if protected.
If not protected then I want to sell it.
But I found out that there is no regs within country of origin and I did find it in SV so I think I can sell it at the pet store or on my own. It looks like a
???????Brachypelma albiceps (Mexican golden red rump tarantula)????
Signature: ptosis

Desert Blond Tarantula

Dear ptosis,
In our opinion, this is
Aphonopelma chalcodes, the Desert Blond Tarantula, which we verified on BugGuide.  We are always in favor of allowing creatures to remain in the wild, though we commend you on getting this guy out of the roadway.  Just because a species is not listed on CITES, does not mean that its population might not be compromised at the local level.  Male Tarantulas like your specimen often wander about in search of their more sedentary female mates, and removing this beautiful Tarantula from the wild will eliminate the possibility of him mating and passing on his genes.

Location: Arizona