Subject: Bug found in San Antonio, TX
Location: San Antonio, TX
My girl friend in San Antonio found this lovely specimen in her garden buzzing around today (June 30, 2012). She asked me to find out what it is and sent me some pictures. Any help would be greatly appreciated and thank you in advance.
Signature: Georgeanne

Belzebul Bee Killer

Hi Georgeanne,
These photos are wonderful.  This is quite a formidable Robber Fly,
Mallophora leschenaulti, commonly called the Belzebul Bee Killer or Black Bee Killer according to BugGuide, which also notes:  “Remarkably, has been reported to attack and kill hummingbirds.”  These large, robust Robber Flies are easily mistaken for Bumble Bees. 

Belzebul Bee Killer

Thank you, Daniel, for the ID. I will let my pal in Texas know. She will be quite tickled you
like her photos.
Georgeanne

Location: Texas

3 Responses to Belzebul Bee Killer

1. Miesha says:

I just found one of these on the front door screen. Only thing is im in San Diego California about a mile from the beach right by sea world. can they be expanding thier territory? How do they kill birds? Is this an invasive species? Dose this mean there is a hive in close proximity?
    Thank you.
    Miesha Fierro

2. Kathy Jones says:

I have been privileged to photograph one of these large hairy legged Bees here in Comanche, TX!