Subject: Bug bites coworker!
Location: Western PA
June 26, 2012 10:02 am
My coworker came in screaming that an alien bug with ’tentacles’ (antennae) bit her while she was outside on her lunch, it got into her short sleeves. She snapped a photo, we have been searching online to no avail. Western PA, length about an inch, 6 legs, rears up in defense when approached. kinda cool!
Signature: blonde girls

Wheel Bug Nymph

Dear blonde girls,
This is an immature Wheel Bug, and we always warn folks to handle them with caution since the bite is reported to be quite painful, though not dangerous.  Thanks for your letter that supports our warnings.  We just posted a photo of an adult Wheel Bug, the largest North American member of the Assassin Bug family.  Assassin Bugs, including Wheel Bugs, are predators that use their piercing proboscis to suck the fluids from their prey.  Hapless humans might also be bitten though this is usually an accidental encounter, like your coworker, or a case of careless handling.

thats terrific! thank you for your repsonse, I was leaning towards wheelbug for most resembles, but it didnt have all the characteristics yet!!!

Location: Pennsylvania

2 Responses to Wheel Bug bites Blonde!!!

1. Nadia says:

I was bitten by this Wheel Bug Today…. And it hurt harder than a bee sting but did go away faster than a sting bee bite!! I was freaked out at first cause I wasn’t sure if the bite was venomous or not! Luckily it’s not!! The spot I was bitten at is still tender to the touch but no biggie. I wouldn’t want my little ones nor any little children for that matter to ever get bitten by this Wheel bugs, because it will hurt them and make them cry!! I screamed when it bit me!! Hope this explanation helps someone looking for info on this bug like I was!! Thanks for you alls info it help me!! 😉

Thanks for supplying a first hand report of what we have frequently stated on our site. The Wheel Bug should be handled with caution, as it might bite, and the bite may be painful, but the effects do not last and there is no permanent damage to the person bitten.