Subject: What is this wasplike insect?
Location: Riverbank in Salisbury, south UK
June 25, 2012 9:28 am
About 3/4 inch (20mm) long. Seen flying lazily, with legs dangling, along a riverbank in southern UK. Settled on nettle leaf and commenced cleaning its wings and antennae. Allowed me to get within inches to photograph
Signature: Rich

Sawfly

Hi Rich,
We don’t know.  Normally, we would not have many reservations identifying this as a Wasp, but it might actually be a Bee.  There are several Cuckoo Bees in the UK that look more like wasps than bees.  The best we can do at the moment is to say it is in the order Hymenoptera which included Bees and Wasps as well as Ants and Sawflies.  Searching several UK websites including Garden Life,
Bugs and Weeds and Eakringbirds did not produce anything conclusive.  Perhaps one of our readers will be able to provide some insight.

OK, thanks for the prompt reply. I had a good hunt round before I came to you, I’ll hunt some more and we’ll see how it goes
Best to you
Rich

Eric Eaton provides an identification
Well, this is a very nice image of a sawfly in the family Tenthredinidae (common sawflies), and probably the genus Tenthredo.

Wow! These experts hardly give one a chance to start looking. Well done Eric and again many thanks
Kind regards
Rich

Location: UK