Subject: it looks like a damselfly
Location: Ottawa Ontario
Ive never seen a damselfly like this before especially with the three prongs from the end. The wings and head really resemble the typical damselfly here in Canada. However from looking through images on this site I dont see it. Can you help me figure out what it is
Signature: Curious

Ichneumon

Dear Curious,
The quality of your photo is poor and the dead creature is missing a head, but we believe this is an Ichneumon, a species of parasitic wasp.  It most resembles the genus
Megarhyssa, however, the coloration is not typical of the species we are familiar with in that genus.  See this photo from BugGuide for a nice view of the three pronged ovipositor of Megarhyssa nortoni.  We hope to get a second opinion from Eric Eaton.  Can you provide any size information?

Eric Eaton provides an identification!!!
Assuming this is from the U.S. or Canada, I would bet on Dolichomitus irritator:
http://bugguide.net/node/view/338540
They get pretty large in their own right.

Thanks Eric,
That species name “
irritator” is very suggestive.

Location: Canada