Subject: Lucifer fly?
Location: NE Oklahoma
We found this fly in Northeast Oklahoma this week (6/2012). It is about 3 inches long. We were told it was a Lucifer fly. Is that correct?
Signature: Lindy

Female Dobsonfly, AKA Luciferfly

Hi Lindy,
We have never heard the term Luciferfly, but some common insect names are very local in their usage.  This may be a name for the Dobsonfly, the insect photo that you submitted, that is limited to your location in Oklahoma.  We do think it is a fitting name for an insect whose larva is known as a Hellgrammite, a name we have never had much luck with determining the origin.  Your female Dobsonfly doesn’t have anywhere near the impressive mandibles of the male Dobsonfly.

Location: Oklahoma

5 Responses to Female Dobsonfly called Luciferfly in Oklahoma

1. Patricia Cook says:

Do these insects destroy plants? dobsonfly why would they be in New York State ?

Dobsonflies do not destroy plants and they are in New York because it is part of their natural range.

2. marie claire beauchemin says:

Moi je suis au Québec et j’ai eu cet insecte sur mon balcon. Je vis au 3e étage et loin des cours d’eau.

3. Robert Braden says:

I just got took a picture of the Lucifer fly here in Longview Texas it’s pretty wild looking.

• Gen says:

I just got dive bombed by a male Dobsonfly here in SouthCentra I Oklahoma. Man these things look quite intimidating!!!