Subject: What is this insect?
Location: Oxford, NC
I am hoping you can help me identify this insect. I don’t think I have ever seen these before. It looks similar to a peach tree borer moth, but I don’t think their behavior makes sense if that is what they are. I have been watching several of these flying around an area where I have spreading chipped wood mulch. They appear to be laying eggs in the mulch, and there are no peach trees around at all. Thanks for any help.
Signature: Dan

Mydas Fly

Hi Dan,
It is interesting that you have compared this Mydas Fly to a Peach Tree Borer because both insects are wasp mimics.  According to BugGuide:  “Eggs are laid singly in soil or rotting wood. (See video of oviposition–Flickr). Mydas larvae prey on beetle larvae, esp. those of June beetles. Larvae pupate close to soil (or wood?) surface. Adults are active only in mid-summer.”

Thanks very much!  That is definitely it.  I hope they also prey on Japanese beetles.

Location: North Carolina