Subject: Unknown Beetle
Location: Tanzania
June 21, 2012 8:43 am
I found this beetle outside of Iringa, Tanzania, in July of 2007. It was dead when I found it, mostly hollow and crawling with ants (little ants, not the big, pinching/biting ants). I have never seen anything like it. Any idea what it is?
Signature: Jacquie

Jewel Beetle

Hi Jacquie,
This is a Jewel Beetle or Metallic Borer Beetle in the family Buprestidae and we believe we have correctly identified it as
Sternocera pulchra Waterhouse, 1879 on M.E. Smirnov’s Photos of Exotic Jewel Beetles web page.  There is a photo of a living specimen on the Ecoport website.  Because Jewel Beetles are valued by collectors for their spectacular, metallic colors, you can find Sternocera pulchra images on many websites that sell insects, including Entomoboutique.  We have to say we are obsessed with your pink knitted glove and can’t help but wonder why you need to keep your hands warm in Tanzania.

Location: Africa