Subject: Big Bee-Horsefly hybrid – What are you?
Location: Boreal Forest, Northern Alberta, Canada
June 19, 2012 9:20 am
I saw this big bug when I was at work in the Boreal Forest in Northern Canada. I have never seen anything like it before. Know what it is?
Signature: Jamie

Elm Sawfly

Hi Jamie,
The Elm Sawfly,
Cimbex americana, is surely an impressive insect.  Though it does not sting, it is related to bees and wasps.  The larvae of the Elm Sawfly feed on leaves and they are frequently mistaken for caterpillars.

Location: Canada

3 Responses to Elm Sawfly

1. vanessa says:

Yes I just took a picture of the same sawfly . Took me hours to research what it was as it mimics a asian hornet !! The one I saw here Alberta / BC border has huge orange body and the one he saw is yellow though . Why is that ? different geographical areas or climate ? gender? THANKS

2. Debi Vanden Brink says:

I found one outside tonite in Sooke, BC. It is a female so has the white banding. Gave me a ‘what the heck is that?!” moment. It is injured and not a beneficial bug so will be in a jar until it gets pinned.