Subject: Odd leaf-eating bug in Maine
Location: Coastal Maine, USA
I found this creature yesterday on a leaf. It’s smaller than a dime. Can you tell me what it is?
Thank you!
Signature: Zach

Clavate Tortoise Beetle

Hi Zach,
This is a Clavate Tortoise Beetle.  Since they feed on the leaves of tomato plants and related plants in the family, including peppers, eggplant and other cultivated plants, Clavate Tortoise Beetles attract more attention than the average Leaf Beetle.

Location: Maine

6 Responses to Clavate Tortoise Beetle

1. Carl Anderson says:

Noticed this dastardly looking Clavate tortoise beetle on my pepper and tomatoe plants for the first time in my life yesterday,and am well over the 70 mark. Where did they come from? Been gardening for over 50 years in many of the Northeast States and never saw one. How do I eliminate them from my garden?

We generally hand pick pest species from our vegetable patch if we believe they are too numerous and detrimental to the plants.

2. Laura Morin says:

Found 1 yesterday in my front yard no garden here, Old Town, Me.

3. Also found in Bethel, Maine…last and this year; have found them hard and they crunch to the squeeze

4. ANDREA STRICKLAND says:

Found one today on a small table! Looks like an alien!!!!!!

• tigei says:

Found them on my eggplant leaves….they have eating many many holes almost every leaf of my sole potted eggplant!…I thought it looked like an alien too!