Subject: Insect w/black lace like wing yet looks cricketish or grasshopperish?
Location: La Grande Oregon 97850
Hi Bugman,
I noticed this as I was checking for ladybug eggs in the backyard (just released 18,000 of them 🙂 I have never seen anything quite like it around here. However I did ”theoretically” release some green lacewing larvae around a month ago…I say ”theoretical” because I buy packages full of invisible things from the internet. Unfortunately the weather went south and the release conditions were less than ideal, also my understanding is green lacewings are well…..green. Any help you could provide would be much appreciated. Best Regards Scott
Signature: Purple Monkey Dishwasher

Cicada

Dear Scott, AKA Purple Monkey Dishwasher,
This is a Cicada, but we are uncertain of the species and sadly, we haven’t the time to research the species at this moment.  You can read more about Cicadas on BugGuide.  We find it terribly interesting and more than a little disturbing that you release packages of invisible things you have bought on the internet.  This could have undesirable consequences if you establish non-native species in a sensitive habitat.  We are postdating your letter to go live during our absence later in the month.

Hi Bugman,
Thank you so very much for your prompt reply.  Of course I understand that you haven’t the time or inclination to identify the species(I don’t either!) the genus is enough 🙂  I too find my “release of invisible things” interesting and disturbing.  Rest assured though releases have been quite limited to the aforementioned lace wings and the beneficial nematodes S. feltiae and Heterorhabditis bacteriophora or as I call them “Adult Sea Monkey’s”.  Of course you may use my letter how you wish though I would prefer it not be in the context of “this is how you file a restraining order” or “stay away from Eastern Oregon sweetie…..” fond memories at drunken Christmas parties are ok though…….Once again thank you.
Regards, Purple Monkey Dishwasher

Location: Oregon