Subject: ?Beefly
Location: Salisbury, UK
June 2, 2012 6:08 am
I encountered this insect in a garden in southern England on 2nd June 2012. weather was bright but not sunny, the fly seemd lethargic and unwilling to fly. It was sitting on some aubretia. I have included a second image to show the folding of the wings, one on top of the other. Can you enlighten me please
Signature: Rich

Narcissus Bulb Fly

Hi Rich,
This furry bee mimic had us perplexed, and we thought it resembled a Bot Fly, so we did some searching and found several similar looking Bot Flies in the UK and Europe, including the Deer Bot Fly,
Cephenemyia auribarbis, which we found pictured on the Natural History Travel Notes Blog and this related species on Wikipedia.  Though they were similar, they were not an exact match, so we sought assistance from Eric Eaton who replied:  “Hi! No, this is the Narcissus Bulb Fly, Merodon equestris.  It is a type of syrphid fly.  Eric”  We then found a matching photo on Garden Stew and a nice description of its life cycle on the North Carolina State University website.  We will be away for a week beginning next week and we are postdating your identification request to go live on our website during that time.

Narcissus Bulb Fly

You guys are great. That figures, I have lots of narcissi in my garden, obviously being eaten to hell!! Thanks so much, I’ll make a donation shortly.

Thanks Rich.  The Garden Stew website offers this gardening advice:  “A little tip to help is that when you pull out the leaves or flowers, run your hand over the soil to fill in the holes. These holes give the fly access to the bulbs. “

Location: UK

3 Responses to Narcissus Bulb Fly from England

1. The link does not appear to work for me..