Subject: Walkingsticks
Location: Canyon Lake, TX
I identified this as Megaphasma denticrus thanks to the pictures and descriptions on the website. This is a great resource. Thought you might enjoy some of these photos of a pair of mating walksticks. There was another pair mating within twenty feet of this one, the other female may have been sligtly bigger, although it was missing a front leg. I spotted that pair a week or two ago. I was reading somewhere that males are about 1/1000?! I must be surrounded by these suckers!
Signature: -Dave

Mating Giant Walkingsticks

Dear Dave,
Thanks so much for sending us your wonderful images of mating Giant Walkingsticks.  Despite their size and reputation of being the longest North American insect (see BugGuide), the Giant Walkingstickis dwarfed by some of its relatives in Borneo and other parts of Indonesia.  We will be postdating your letter to go live in the near future as we will be away from the office and our readership has come to expect daily postings from us. 

Mating Giant Walkingsticks

The close-up photo of the genitalia might make some of our more sensitive readers a bit squeamish.

Genitalia of Mating Giant Walkingsticks

Location: Texas

One Response to Mating Giant Walkingsticks

1. Don says:

We also have the Giant Stick bugs in Northern Arkansas or Ozarks. Beautiful red and green insect. The one I seen on our back porch was closer to 8-9 inches long. I’ll have to try to find the pics I took and send them in.