Subject: Bug Identification
Location: Central Virginia
Hi — I’d be interested to learn what sort of bug this is. Found in my garage and looked very interesting so I took some portraits.
Signature: kss_cville

Wheel Bug Nymph

Dear kss_cville,
This is surely a stunning portrait of a Wheel Bug nymph.  The proboscis is clearly visible.  Wheel Bugs are Assassin Bugs, a family of predators that uses the proboscis to pierce the prey and then suck fluids.  Wheel Bugs are capable of biting a careless human who does not use good judgement when trying to handle them.  Adult Wheel Bugs are named for the coglike structure on the thoracic region.  We will be postdating your identification request to go live later in the month while we are on holiday.

I’m glad you liked the portrait and thank you very much for the quick identification of the Wheel Bug nymph.  I don’t think I have ever noticed one in that stage before.  Interesting mannerisms and movements — mostly I think it was trying to decide if it could make a summer long meal of me.
Best Regards,
Kevin

Location: Virginia