Subject: Insect in Mexico
Location: Tulum, Mexico
June 3, 2012 11:15 am
We saw this bug at night in Tulum, Mexico. It appeared on the wall outside our cabana. It doesn’t appear to have wings but is quite horrific in my opinion. This is the best picture I could get at night without getting too close. Do you know what kind of bug this is?
Signature: Danielle Panchuk

Tailless Whipscorpion

Hi Danielle,
Though it is fierce looking, this Tailless Whipscorpion is actually harmless to humans as it lack venom, unlike the true scorpions and spider to which it is related.  It is possible to sustain a bite from a Tailless Whipscorpion, but only if one tries to carelessly handle it.  Tailless Whipscorpions are nocturnal hunters that feed on Cockroaches and other undesirable creatures that are found indoors in warmer climates where the Tailless Whipscorpions are found.  In Mexico, the Tailless Whipscorpion is commonly called a Cancle.  We will be postdating your letter to go live during our absence from the office later this month.

Thanks for your response. It’s good to know the bug we saw was not dangerous in any way and actually doing some good. I’ve looked at some other pictures posted on your site of Tailless Whipscorpiond and the one we saw seems quite a bit larger than those. It’s body was about 7-8 inches long.
Thanks again!
Danielle

Location: Mexico

One Response to Tailless Whipscorpion

1. I love amblypygids! I wish we had some in northern Indiana. I guess I’ll have to just keep admiring our Camel Crickets when I need a crazy looking bug fix. Thank you for the awesome site!