Subject: Moth?
Location: Newhaven, UK
Hi Mr Bugman,
I found this in my kitchen being quite beautiful – no idea what it is. Any ideas?
Signature: Simon

Plume Moth

Hi Simon,
You should be congratulated.  Most folks who encounter a Plume Moth in the family Pterophoridae have no idea how to classify them.  Many people just call them T-Bugs.  Your photo is also quite beautiful.  We are postdating your identification request to go live to our site later in the week so that there will continue to be daily postings during our short holiday.

Wow – I had no idea. Every year there’s at least a couple that take up residence in the kitchen and never seem to move – then just vanish. He [she?] had sat there for a few days before I took the picture.
Thank you very much for your ID.
Regards,
simon

Location: UK

6 Responses to Plume Moth from the UK

1. Why are we “gentle readers”?

2. nice! I have seen them a couple of times here on long island..

3. Nick says:

I am in southern England and these moths are everywhere. we always have them around the house and garden, great to finally be able to identify it, ive always called them T flies