Subject: Is this a type of walking stick
Location: South Texas near the ocean
My husband and I found this bug earlier today while working on the house but are not quite sure what kind it is. When my husband knocked it off the house it let out a horrible smell like a stink bug but worse. It also has a smaller insect just like it on it’s back as well.
Signature: Unsure

Muskmare and Mate

Dear Unsure,
You are correct that this is a Walkingstick, but you failed to realize it is two Walkingsticks, a Muskmare and her mate.  We guess you smelled the musk.  Not only does it smell, it is caustic and the Muskmare can spray it with amazing accuracy, and it seems to hit the eye with a better than expected average of attempts.

Location: Texas

2 Responses to Mating Walkingsticks: Muskmare and her stallion

1. I love you guys, but you can be really condescending sometimes. “……what you failed to realize”? I frequent your website and love bugs too! Make it enjoyably educational instead of scolding so much. Not everyone is as rational/intelligent as you.

Hi Rachael,
      Thanks for bringing this to our attention. We really did not mean to be condescending. We thought that we were acknowledging that the person correctly identified the insect order, but just didn’t notice that it was actually two insects.