Subject: Ambush bug???
Location: Zuma Canyon, Malibu, California
Hi Bugman,
I found this guy on Eriogonum fasciculatum (buckwheat) – I didn’t see him until I moved the flower and he crawled around back to get away from me. I don’t know what he is. The closest thing I can guess is some sort of ambush bug. His coloration is amazing! What is it?
Signature: C. Anderson

June 4, 2012
Hey Bugman!
Still can’t figure out what this is. I am going back out this week to look for him. Any ideas?
Thanks, Crystal

Immature Ambush Bug

Hi Crystal,
We missed your original email and we returned to our unanswered mail in order to find your location.  You are correct.  This is an Ambush Bug and it appears to be an immature individual.  It is possible it is freshly molted and its colors haven’t darkened yet, or it might have adapted to blend in to the colors of the buckwheat blossom.  It might be
Phymata pacifica, a species represented on BugGuide from California, however BugGuide has no images of nymphs.

One Response to Immature Ambush Bug

1. For the first time ever, your site was just blocked by my virus scanner (AVG). Says there’s an active threat now (I just visited a couple of hours ago with no issue). Just a heads-up!