Subject: Some kind of beetle???
Location: Carolina, WV
My daughter and I found this handsome bug outside of our home last week, 5/23/12, in Carolina, WV. She is very fond of discovering things and learning about the beautiful world around us. I try to take that curiosity and make it a learning experience for use both. I took some pictures of various insects and plants and then tried to identify them online. Unfortunately I have been unsuccessful in discovering anything on this little guy. I would appreciate your help.
Signature: Bobbi Jean

I continued searching your site, and I believe I found it! Could this possibly be Purpuricenus humarils? I understand if you dont get the chance to reply.  I loved looking at all the pics and comments during my search.  Thanks bunches!

Purplescent Longhorn

Hi Bobbi Jean,
We are happy to hear that you were able to self identify your Purplescent Longhorn,
Purpuricenus humeralis, by searching our labyrinthine archives.  This is really a very beautiful beetle.  According to BugGuide:  “larvae mine in dead branches of numerous hardwoods.” 

Location: West Virginia