Subject: Wolf or Fishing Spider
Location: north of Pittsburgh, PA
Dear Bugman. This beauty showed up on my parents’ porch in Western PA, about 30 miles north of Pittsburgh. No water sources nearby, but it’s much larger (and seemed a slightly different shape) than the wolf spiders I’me familiar with in this area. Possibly a fishing spider out looking for prey, since it’s been so dry around here lately? Regardless, after it sat for it’s portrait, we just let it sit there, despite my mom’s dismay.
Signature: Jeff

Fishing Spider

Hi Jeff,
This is a Fishing Spider in the genus
Dolomedes.  Though they prefer to live near water, it isn’t always the case.

Location: Pennsylvania

2 Responses to Fishing Spider

1. Nik says:

I recently encountered the fishing spider scared to death I didn’t know what it was it was very scary looking so I sprayed it w insect killer and it shriveled up and died it was in my bathroom in a home we just purchased and are renovating in pittsburgh pa I did not know the background until I found this post

Fishing Spiders are considered harmless, and even though they are large spiders, we have never received a report of a person being bitten.