Subject: Moth – It’s What’s For Dinner
Location: Kalamazoo, Michigan
First off, I want to say after several years of faithfully reading WTB you and your colleagues have made me an armchair entomology enthusiast. You’ve opened a world of biazarre, beautiful and fascinating creatures right in my own back yard. Thank you. 🙂
Today I went out and found this beautiful gray and black spider carrying his lunch around my ceiling. I was thinking he was a wolf spider, but the markings seem off. Can you ID my special visitor? And of course he was removed from my kitchen and turned loose in my flower garden next to the back porch. Unfortunately he did lose his lunch in the process, but I’m sure he’ll find plenty of meals under the porch and amoung the flowers.
Signature: Mimi

Jumping Spider with Moth

Hi Mimi,
Thank you for your kind email.  Unfortunately, your photo lacks the kind of clarity needed for a positive identification, but we are nearly certain the spider is one of the harmless Jumping Spiders in the family Salticidae.  These are generally small spiders that do not build webs to snare prey.  Instead, they use their keen eyesight to stalk prey, often pouncing from a considerable distance relative to the size of the spider.  Jumping Spiders do not pose a threat to humans.  You can see by browsing BugGuide that there are many similar looking Jumping Spiders among the more than 315 species known from North America.

Location: Michigan

2 Responses to Jumping Spider eats Moth

1. Angel Jynx says:

Marpissa mucosa, or Platycryptus undatus.