Subject: Green Immigrant Leaf Weevil
Location: Naperville, IL
Hi Daniel~
I found this critter on ME last night, and I kept him overnight for observation and identification until I could get a good photo of him in the daylight. I do believe (from his eyes!) he is a green immigrant leaf weevil, a relative newcomer to these parts, Polydrusus sericeus.
All the best to you!
Signature: -Dori Eldridge

Green Immigrant Leaf Weevil

Hi Dori,
We concur with your identification of this Green Immigrant Leaf Weevil,
Polydrusus sericeus.  According to BugGuide, it is:  “completely covered with metallic green scales except for brownish or yellowish-brown legs and conspicuous black linear grooves in elytra; eyes relatively large, positioned dorsolaterally, and angled slightly inward (i.e. anterior margin or eye is closer to the midline than posterior margin); least interocular distance less than or equal to width of eye; elytra almost parallel-sided, widest near the base; anterior margin of snout straight, with no notch in middle” and it feeds on “primarily Yellow Birch (Betula alleghaniensis).”  It was:  “introduced from Europe, where it is widespread.”

Location: Illinois