Subject: Enormous June bug?
Location: San Marcos, Texas
Hey Bugman! I saw this gigantic beetle in a parking lot this evening. It was moving very slowly and I never saw it attempt to fly, but it looks like a huge June bug. I’ve never seen one so big, so it made me curious about whether or not it’s actually a June bug. Thoughts? Thaaanks!
Signature: Brittani Wray

Grapevine Beetle

Hi Brittani,
You are very astute to observe that this Grapevine Beetle belongs in the Scarab Family with June Beetles, the more correct common name for the June Bug.  We can’t imagine what this Grapevine Beetle is going to do with that quarter.

Location: Texas

5 Responses to What is the Grapevine Beetle going to do with that quarter?????

1. Feeding the parking meter!

2. nipsey says:

well, thanks again WTB. a few clicks and i ID’ed this guy that i saw fly past me tonight and swatted down for a closer look. this is clearly what i caught, down to the 4 spots down each side. However, i live just outside Philadelphia PA so was surprised to see something related to grape vines. I looked it up on Wikipedia and saw that indeed someone recently updated the page to include in habitat “and Western Pennsylvania, and in Philadelphia on 6-30-12”

3. Michelle says:

Hey all,

Just had one stuck in my screen door..these are not native to my area and I’m very surprised to see such a massive beetle while having my morning coffee!
    Im in Southern Ontario (Lake Huron) and we are seeing bugs that are not the norm this summer…must be all the rain we have had?!