Aquarium Update:  May 9, 2012
There has been so much change and transition in the aquaria.  First a silver pair of Angelfish paired off and were moved to the aquarium by the window where they are living with their three day free swimming fry.  What I believe is a pair of golden Angelfish (I decided I would name the first gold fish to produce viable fry Paris, be it male or female.  Seems I most likely have a pair of golden Angelfish.  There are wrigglers and also a batch of non viable eggs, but they seem to have formed a relationship with a silver striped Angelfish.  I am reluctant to narrow the tank to two fish until I am sure who laid the viable eggs.  The viable eggs were laid on a piece of slate. The hatchlings were moved.  The three silver Angelfish and one gold fish stayed behind the slate when fry were moved to plant in foreground.  Then more eggs were laid on the plant in the foreground, but I am not sure by which fish.  There is little doubt the pair are the gold fish.  Three of the fish were taken to Tropical Imports, but then the third fish seemed to join the pair.

Paris in the back and Helen on the right.

On the light green leaf on the left in the aquarium is a brood of wrigglers that were moved shortly after I took this photo.  In the foreground are the nonviable eggs turning white.

Helen, probably the female in the pair.

Update:  May 18, 2012
I could tell the fry were hidden in the back of the large plant, however, I couldn’t see them.  Then the fry were moved into view.  As soon as the fry started swimming, I came home to find the silver anglefish, still unnamed, gobbling up swimming fry.  I got a bit nervous and caught him and just dumped him unceremoniously into the aquarium in the bathroom, the nursery aquarium.  A few minutes later, I noticed three fry in the nursery aquarium with him.  I scooped them out with a cup and returned them to Paris and Helen.  I still am not certain if Paris fertilized the eggs.  I think I will keep the striped male until I am certain, however, I may ask Tropical Imports to board him.

2 Responses to Paris and Helen raise a brood

1. It’s such joy, watching fish eggs hatch in your own tank. Spellbinding. 🙂

Sorry for the late response. There was some technical difficulty last month and these comments just came to our attention now. The brood is growing beautifully.