This is a sort-of press release: I’d be grateful if you’d feature it on your site.
Dave

Insect Fast Food from Thailand from our archive

As many have noticed, the world has become increasingly interested in the subject of edible insects. There’s frequent mainstream media coverage, conferences, and two important new developments. World Entomophagy, of Athens, Georgia, has launched a open-sourced website that will become the definitive source of information on entomophagy – a meeting-place for researchers and practitioners with visionary interests and goals. We are at www.worldento.com
Someday we will publish original, peer-reviewed scientific papers; for now, we are seeking all manner of contributions. Although we’re happy to see basic articles such as, What is Entomophagy; Allergy Concerns; Wine Pairings for Insects; How to Prepare your Insects for Cooking; and General Recipes, we are more interested in the cultural and international aspects of entomophagy; the many disciplines involved (such as Entomology, Anthropology, Nutrition, Sociology, Psychology, Literature, Agriculture, Sustainable Studies, History, Engineering, Chemistry, Culinary, Marketing, etc.); and artwork, video, and creative writing. We’re also creating a gallery of cross-referenced images with captions: documentation of edible insects around the world.
Technical articles are welcome, and authors of such work will be asked to include short summaries in layman’s terms. In all cases we will prominently feature contributors’ names and other information they would like to include. Currently we cannot pay for content; the current budget is slated for the site, though we may make exceptions for some articles. We would be happy to discuss the possibility of barter (edible insect products in exchange for articles) or terms for future compensation (within reason).
The other major development is EDIBL – The Environmental Discourses of the Ingestion of Bugs League. This student-group model was founded by Rena Chen, a food-anthropology major at Princeton, in 2010. Other chapters have started at The Richard Stockton College of New Jersey, the University of Texas, and the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. There are big plans to continue growing nationally and internationally, to pool resources and increase awareness. While college/university campuses might be the best setting for such enterprises, EDIBL’s founders would welcome other kinds of groups. Hopefully, the evolution of multiple chapters would encourage collaboration, friendly competition, and perhaps conferences.

There are Facebook pages for both “World Entomophagy” and “EDIBL Nation.” If Facebook holds no interest for you, email me at sagoman401@gmail.com and I’ll answer any questions you have. And as the main editor of the site, I’d be delighted to see anything you might like to contribute. The future of this subject is very bright; consider joining us. According to the FAO, climate scientists, and other experts, there’s a very good chance that humanity’s future will have a lot more bugs in it.

4 Responses to New Things Happening in Entomophagy!!!

1. Dave Brown says:

At the Academy of Natural Sciences in Philadelphia last summer during BUGfest, I got to sample some crickets and meal worms. Wouldn’t make it regular fare on the dinner table, but not bad.

2. Thanks again for posting this, Daniel!

3. Great!
    The Entomovores Forum is also very implicated in entomophagy. We’re located in France, but we are in contact with the ones you mentioned, Renausaurus Chen and World Ento among others.
    You may find the scientific articles posted on the forum interesting as you are looking for technical articles -> http://entomovores.ze-forum.com/f36-Etudes.htm
    Most of them are in english and free of rights. More will be shared soon.
    Till then,
    All best
    Arthur
    Contact: arthurpicerna@hotmail.com