Beetle with antler-like antennae
Location: Japan, Mie (Central Japan, south of Nagoya, near coast)
This beetle I photographed in Japan in 2005 (was it really so long ago?!), shortly after dusk on the 4th of May.
My best guess is Pyrochroidae, others on the interwebs have suggested Eucnemidae Melasidae or Elateridae.
Are the ”antlers” for detecting scents/pheromones, or to they have another purpose.
All the best
Signature: James Kilfiger

Click Beetle

Hi James,
Because of the antennae, your guess of family Pyrchroidae, the Fire Colored Beetles, was a good, though wrong guess.  Not many Click Beetles in the family Elateridae have such pectinate antennae, but there are some species.  Interestingly, we very quickly found a match to your Click Beetle on Natural Japan where it is identified as
Pectocera fortunei = hige-kometsuki.  Natural Japan provides this information: “Lots of these click beetles were flying around one particular tree (I’m sorry I didn’t identify the tree!). They are pretty big and their method of flying is quite ungainly, elytra out to the sides and abdomens hanging down, making them look like flying crucifixes. They were very active and wouldn’t keep still to be photographed but I managed to catch one in my hat. I put it on a leaf and it immediately took off again! By the way, the male uses its huge feathery antennae for detecting females.”  Here are photos of a male and female on a Japanese website.

Location: Japan

4 Responses to Click Beetle from Japan

1. Shelby says:

Is it odd that I would find one of these in my home in Tennessee?

2. Alistair Watt says:

This is a great photo of P. fortune. I have written a biography of Robert Fortune, the botanist, after whom this beetle is named. It will be published by Kew Botanic Gardens. I would very much like to include it in the book . Could I please have your permission to do so with credits for the photographer.
    Many thanks Alistair

Dear Alistair,
      We are copying James Kilfiger with your request. We will wait until he responds as he is the owner of the copyright to the image. Thanks for placing this request as a comment on the original posting to What’s That Bug? If you hear back from James, we hope you will also credit our site as the internet source of the image.