What is this little beetle?
Location: New Lenox, IL
Let me start by saying, I LOVE this website! I browse through your bug pages often and have for years. I recently started a bug group on Facebook where we share pictures of bugs that we find. (Anyone is welcome to join us: http://www.facebook.com/groups/105250039607014/136565559808795/?comment_id=136568363141848)
One of our members recently found this little beetle in her back yard in New Lenox, IL. We were wondering if you could help us identify this cute little guy?
Signature: Admin of Plants, Fungus & Bugs…Oh My!

Leaf Beetle

Dear Admin of Plants, …,
This is a Leaf Beetle in the genus
Calligrapha.  We believe we have correctly identified it as Calligrapha bidenticola based on photos posted to BugGuide where it is indicated that Illinois is within the range of the species.  Thank you for your kind words.  They are greatly appreciated.

Thank you so much for getting back to me, I truly appreciate it! I have started offering help with identification of bugs in my group using my knowledge, whatsthatbug and the bug guide. I hope this might take some work off of your plate in the future. I also have plans of taking more professional photos of the insects I happen upon. I would like to compile a field guide of sorts of east cost insects and publish a book using KickStarter to fund the project. I am also thinking about starting a blog to better catalog what I find out there.
My facebook group has taken off! I originally had 3 members (I started the group as a joke) and people started joining! Now we have 22 members, most of them women. I hope that I can encourage more people to join. So many people are scared of bugs because they think they will be stung. It is a great group and I look forward to having your website as such a wonderful resource in the future. It has offered me many hours of educational entertainment and whenever I am able, I plan on donating what I can to help your cause.
Thank you again for getting back to me. If there is anything I can do to help you out, please let me know. I am a stay at home mom running a small home business sewing cloth alternatives. I have time on my hands and am more than happy to offer some of it to help out.

Location: Illinois