Guatemala jungle bug
Location: Tikal National Park, Guatemala
Could you help me identify this little guy? I took this photo near Tikal in Guatemala near the end of March this year. Barely visible, I just noticed his camouflage back cover moving on a tree and took a closer look.
Signature: David Creswell

Lacewing Larva

Hi David,
This is the larva of a Lacewing and this camouflage behavior is common with many species of Lacewings.  We get numerous submissions from North America as well as other parts of the world.  We also just posted a photo of an adult Green Lacewing.  Both larvae and adults are predatory and they feed on vast quantities of Aphids and other small insects.

Location: Guatemala

One Response to Lacewing Larva from Guatemala

1. M. Kirk says:

I found a tiny guy like this, sort of, in our garden this morning, but my tiny guy looked more like walking white fuzz, white moss/cotton. I was completely surprised I was able to see him/her moving across the dark soil.
    We live in Northern California, and previously to this little guy we found a normal one in one of our fruitless mulberry trees.
    Is the camo. lacewing larvae normally found here? Curious as only having once in my life seen the normal one. I suppose because they are so small.
    Thank you.