Bug of the month – Japanese Beetle
Location: Red Lick, Kentucky
Hey Daniel,
As someone who recently moved from the city (DC) to the country (Berea, Kentucky) I use your site constantly. I’ve been able to identify the critters I’ve been taking photo’s of since we moved here because of you so Thank You!
I am learning to live with my new neighbors though the adaptation is slow and difficult. This year I’m learning that some of the plants in KY are more vicious than the bugs.
Anyway I decided to donate to your site and also figured I’d throw in a photo of one of those nasty but beautiful Japanese Beetles I took last year since they’re your bug of the month this year.
I know it’s May 1st and I’m a bit late.
I have a quick question too, after finding out that we have loads of Forest Tent Caterpillars I was wondering what types of moths these little guys turn into? Sorry I dont have a photo… yet.
Signature: Micheal Mathews

Japanese Beetle

Hi Micheal,
We are happy to learn you find our site so helpful.  Though we ran a tip on an organic method of controlling Japanese Beetles, we don’t expect to begin getting photos of them until mid June.  We did feature them as the Bug of the Month in July 2010.  You can find photos of the Forest Tent Caterpillar Moth on BugGuide.

Location: Kentucky