What’s that Bug?
Location: Austin, TX
Hi!
Just found your website while trying to identify this bug that I took a photograph of. While trying to take a photograph of a Cactus Rose from the Prickly Pear Cactus in Austin, Texas, I saw these two bugs that look like they are from the katydid or grasshopper family with their hinged backlegs and long antennae. Any help in identifying this would be helpful as I am going to have this photo published in a book and would love to identify the bug!
Thank you for your help!
Sincerely,
Melissa Wood
Signature: Melissa Wood

Short-Wing Katydids

Hi Melissa,
Your insects are Katydids and the individual in the center of the blossom is an immature specimen.   The second individual is a female based on the presence of an ovipositor.  We believe we have identified them as Short-Wing Katydids in the genus
Dichopetala based on photos posted to BugGuide.  We will try to verify our identification with Piotr Naskrecki, a noted expert on Katydids.

Piotr Naskrecki concurs
The poor katydid held by his legs and looked upon disapprovingly is Pediodectes, almost certainly P. haldemani. The short winged katydids are Dichopetala, but it is impossible to say which species from the photo (and the male is still a nymph.)
Cheers,
Piotr

I appreciate your help very much.  I had no idea how many species of Katydid’s there were until I started trying to search for a picture of this one!  My goodness!  Thanks for taking the time to get confirmation; please let me know if you do.
Sincerely,
Melissa

Location: Texas