some sort of bee
Location: Johnson Prairie, Southern Oregon
April 20, 2012 11:18 am
This came inside the camper and I got it out once and then it came back again, so I took its picture. Only saw one and cannot find an ID on it.
Thank you for this great website!
Signature: Leslie

What's That Bee?: Anthophora species

Dear Leslie,
We are having difficulty identifying your bee which we suspect is a Bumble Bee.  The long hairs on the legs are an interesting feature that we have not been able to match with a photo on BugGuide.  We suspect this might not be a Bumble Bee after all.  We are seeking assistance from Eric Eaton, but perhaps one of our readers will be able to provide a comment as to this Bee’s identity.

Eric Eaton Responds and narrows down the possibilities
It is going to be something related to Anthophora or Habropoda (genera), but I never saw anything like this when I lived in Oregon myself.  You might try John Ascher via Bugguide.net.  I’m betting this is a male specimen, too.

Thanks Eric,
We will continue to research this critter.

John Ascher Responds
Thanks for sending this query. The bee is a male Anthophora but I’m not certain of the species. Note that Michael Orr of the USDA Bee Lab in Utah is working on this group.
Making IDs for Hymenoptera on What’s That Bug? has been on my to do list for a while, but it’s hard for me to find a free moment (next week I leave for Singapore…).
Best regards,
John

Location: Oregon

2 Responses to Fuzzy Footed Bee from Oregon

1. Bugophile says:

We had some kind of leacutter bee in our landscape ties last year (in Winnipeg). I watched it gnaw out chambers in the tie through a split in the wood. Thought it was a carpenter bee, but then watched it carrying leaf circles into the nest later. It had very fuzzy legs like this, which really threw me off. Never did really come up with a solid ID. The nest building process took days, it was a very diligent worker.
    Bugophile