Possible alderfly
Location: Australia, South Australia, Mount Gambier
April 9, 2012 1:55 am
Hello again!
I found this insect a few times at school(there were heaps, i counted 31) and i found two at a local park so i chaught them to take a better look at.
one is a feamale, i know this because she laid 8 eggs(in 2 days.) she has a weird fold up *oviposetor?(is that how you spell it.) I looked them up in a book of australian wildlife and found something like it. it was called an alderfly, i read about them and found out about their aquatic life cycle, but the park is nowhere neer a pond or anything. They look very prety and i would like to find out just what they are!(i will realese the eggs soon,the weather wont let me outside sadly.)
thanks again and i hope you can help me!
Signature: Liam

Pied Lacewing

Hi Liam,
We have identified your insect as a Pied Lacewing,
Porismus strigatus, on the Brisbane Insect Website and we learned:  “Their larvae are long and slender, with elongated spear-like jaws, hunt under bark. Their eggs are not stalked. ”  Lacewings belong to the insect order Neuroptera, and many members of the order lay eggs on stalks, so this mention is significant.  We then verified the identification on the Encyclopedia of Life website.  Your incorrect identification is perfectly understandable.  Alderflies are classified with Dobsonflies in the order Megaloptera, but there was a time when they were classified with Lacewings and Antlions in the order Neuroptera.  They are closely related orders.  Ovipositor is the correct spelling.

Pied Lacewing

Location: Australia