Green mystery spider
Location: Garrison, NY
I noticed this pretty and sleek green spider yesterday on a dry canoe by the brook where I work. It is part of a marsh sanctuary, and the canoe is on land near tree cover. Season: spring, time: 3:30 pm. My boss thinks it is a different species of Green Lynx (than most photos show).
Signature: Jacquelyn

Long Jawed Orbweaver

Hi Jacquelyn,
This is most certainly not a Green Lynx Spider.  We believe it may be an Orchard Spider, though there is more green and less white on the abdomen of your specimen than most of the photos posted to BugGuide.  Perhaps one of our readers will be able to write in with a correction if that is not the right identification.

Thanks for the feedback, Daniel! I saw the Orchard Spider, and they are beautiful. I thought mine had a thinner abdomen, but perhaps it is a less common variation.

2 Responses to Long Jawed Orbweaver

1. Bugophile says:

Hi Daniel and Jacquelyn
    I believe you have Tetragnatha viridis, found in Eastern US and Southeastern Canada. “Living specimens can be distinguished from other species in this genus by their green color” according to Bugguide. See: http://bugguide.net/node/view/38826
    Bugophile