Swarm of Beetles.. maybe????
Location: San Antonio Texas
I opened my door Sunday morning to find 100’s of these beetle like bugs crawling out of my grass onto my sidewalk and patio. They seemed to all be heading toward the shade. I was leaving to go buy bug spray when as I backed my car out of my driveway, I found that where the car had provided shade, was covered with these bugs. They were.. at the largest size, half the size of your pinky finger nail. I noticed the black and red spot so at first I thought a lady bug, but these seem to have antennas. I removed some grassy area from my yard and found them all over the dirt area and found an spot that they were climbing out of the dirt. I dont mean one or two, just hundreds of them. What are these and are they harmful to my yard? Will they fly away or do I need to exterminate the ones I havent gotten rid of?
Signature: Sirena

Florida Predatory Stink Bug Nymphs

Ed. Note:  With most of the identification requests we receive, we are only able to supply a brief response to the querent without posting the letter.  Such was the case with this submission, though in retrospect, we decided to create a post.

recently hatched beneficial predatory stink bugs

bugs are amazing.. never knew they hatched underground.  Hopefully they will just go away and not eat what grass I have left after our Texas drought…

Hi again Sirena,
The Florida Predatory Stink Bug feeds on other insects and it will not damage your lawn.  Since they are nymphs, they don’t yet have wings, but winged adults are capable of flight.  Because of their black and orange coloration, their markings which resemble a mask and their presence in the fall, adult Florida Predatory Stink Bugs are often called Halloween Bugs.

Location: Texas