Large black beetle found 4/1/11 in Indiana
Location: Hamilton County, Indiana
April 2, 2012 10:56 am
I found this beetle walking in the woods on April 1, 2012. It was in Hamilton County in Central Indiana at around 7:30pm. The photos aren’t the best because I only had my cell phone with me. In person, it had a beautiful irredescent green that ran down the middle of the back. The park has some creeks, a swamp, and a marsh, prairie and forest all in 127 acres. I would like to know the name of it to see if I can learn some more information about this insect I had never seen before so I could share this information with others if I see it again.
Signature: Just curious

Giant Black Water Beetle

Dear Just curious,
This is an aquatic Predaceous Diving Beetle in the family Dytiscidae, and though we don’t get too many submissions of Predaceous Diving Beetles, the letter we just posted from California was also a representative of this family.  See BugGuide for additional information on the family.  We would love a professional opinion regarding the species.

Correction:  April 6, 2012
Thanks to a comment from MichaelH, we are linking to the correct species on BugGuide.  The Giant Black Water Beetle is also known as the Giant Water Scavenger.

Location: Indiana

2 Responses to Giant Black Water Beetle, NOT Predaceous Diving Beetle

1. MichaelH says:

looks like family Hydrophilidae, Hydrophilus triangularis to me