Central Texas moth!
Location: San Marcos, Texas
Hey bugman! I found this moth today, March 27, outside of my apartment in San Marcos. It reminded me a convolvulus hawk moth that I found once in the Amarillo area, but when I looked at the photos of that one, the patterns on the wings were quite different. I did some searching and thought it looked a lot like an underwing moth, but when I picked it up, it stretched out its wings and there was no bright coloring anywhere. So, what do you think? Thanks a bunch!
Signature: Brittani Wray

Carolina Sphinx

Hi Brittani,
Your moth reminds you of the Convolvulus Hawkmoth because it is in the same family, Sphingidae, the Hawkmoths or Sphinx Moths.  Your moth is a Carolina Sphinx,
Manduca sexta, a common species found across much of North America.  You can read more about the Carolina Sphinx on BugGuide and on the Sphingidae of the Americas website.  The Caterpillars are known as Tobacco Hornworms and they feed on the leaves of tomatoes, tobacco and related plants in the nightshade family.

Correction:  July 10, 2012
We just noticed we incorrectly identified this Sphinx.  It is a Waved Sphinx, Ceratomia undulosa, not a Carolina Sphinx.  This can be verified by comparing this moth to photos on Sphingidae of the Americas.

Location: Texas