Some kind of Cicada?
Location: Carlingford (western sydney), Australia
While out photographing some bugs in my backyard, i stumbled onto this guy sitting on one of my window sills, i have no idea what he is. Looks a little bit like a cicada, but quite a bit smaller (probably 1/3 the size?). I didnt get many photos of him before he jumped, and i didnt see where he went after that.
Signature: Paul J R

Treehopper

Dear Paul,
The reason this Leafhopper reminds you of a Cicada is that they are in the same insect order, Hemiptera.  We have not been able to find a matching image for your individual, however, it reminds us of the Gum Tree Hoppers in the subfamily Eurymelinae that are pictured on the Brisbane Insect website.

Location: Australia

6 Responses to Unknown Treehopper from Australia

1. Bugophile says:

Hello Daniel and Paul. Take a look at this fulgorid family portrait: http://www1.dpi.nsw.gov.au/keys/fulgor/fulgorid/desudaba.htm. I’m thinking perhaps D. maculata because of the light eyes. Unfortunately mounted specimens just don’t do justice to the real things, do they?

2. Bugophile says:

You are most welcome, Daniel.

3. MattTobin says:

Hi, I live in Campbelltown NSW. I found the same species of Treehopper you once found. I thought it was a Small Cicada too. I will try to post some pics soon.

4. MattTobin says:

Hi Bugman, I posted the similar Treehopper pics yesterday. Just search “Leafhopper”.