found a sweet bug
Location: western pennsylvania
I found this little fella while camping. Looks awesome. I was suprised at my phones picture quality. This could be a common insect but I have never seen anything like it. I sorta examined it with a small stick and it had antenna like objects that protruded from the head at my stick. Left a pungent odor on the stick. I like the markings that look like eyes even though that’s not the head.
Signature: Toad

Tiger Swallowtail Caterpillar

Hi Toad,
We understand your weather is unseasonably warm, but we still suspect this prepupal Tiger Swallowtail Caterpillar is not a recent sighting.  The antennae you describe is a scent organ called an osmeterium.

Location: Pennsylvania

2 Responses to Tiger Swallowtail Caterpillar

1. My mother discovered our dog was playing with what looked like mulch at first, come to find out it was a brown caterpillar. Later, we learned that it was a tiger swallowtail caterpillar. My cousin and I decided to keep it.
    We put it in a big jar with some grass, leaves, twigs and a drop of water. We learned how to take care of him until he turns into a beautiful tiger swallowtail butterfly.
    Finally, my question was how long does the caterpillar stage take? He/she looks like it is a full grown caterpillar. And we want to know when it will go into it’s chrysalis- then turn into a butterfly?

There is no way of telling how soon the caterpillar will form a chrysalis, but it will probably be in the chrysalis stage for several weeks.