weird jumping bug
Location: UK (Cornwall)
March 17, 2012 8:54 am
Seen this in the garden for the last few years (once disturbed, they jump about, somewhat clumsily). As you can see, they look almost marine-like.
Signature: Ant

Lawn Shrimp

Dear Ant,
Your terrestrial amphipod,
Arcitalitrus sylvaticus, has many marine relatives.  The species was accidentally introduced to various parts of the world from Australia, including “New Zealand, the British Isles, Florida and California” according to BugGuide.  These creatures proliferate in well watered gardens and they are commonly called Land Shrimp or House Hoppers.  The frequently enter homes during heavy rains, though they quickly dry out and die indoors.

Location: UK

31 Responses to Lawn Shrimp from UK

1. peejay says:

These creatures are everywhere in Cornwall, and have replaced the native springtails.

2. dez says:

Had them in my garden for the last 3 years under pots .And dead ones in the conservatory . I live in Southampton .

3. Allison says:

I have loads in my garden for a few years, and found your info here searching the internet as to what they are. I live in Brighton, East Sussex.

4. Pasiphae says:

Thanks for the info….just had half a dozen throwing themselves around in Poole, Dorset 🙂

5. tommy says:

I’ve got thousands of these in my garden, lived in my current home two years, they’ve always been here. I’m in Gloucester, UK.

6. kev says:

I found these little things in swansea.
    Looks like they love the south west and costal places.

7. kev says:

I found these little things in swansea.

8. Will says:

Found this on the carpet in Lewes, East Sussex. Thanks for the info. Boys taking it into school for show and tell.

9. E C Smith says:

Suddenly appeared in my house in the last 10 days or so, on the Isle of Arran off the west coast of Scotland. The ones inside up until tonight, have all been dead and salmon coloured, but tonight I found about 6 indoors jumping about on my carpet and rug. Not nice! I don’t know where they’ve come from all of a sudden, I’ve not introduced any new plants recently, but they’re obviously getting into my living room through the sliding patio door somehow. I’m going to ensure that there are no plant pots outside the doors any more, that they’re all much further away from the house in future. At least they seem to die off quickly, I don’t relish sharing my lounge with any jumping insects!

• Caroline says:

I thought these were fleas because we have animals. ..I’m so glad they’re not but how do I get rid of them? Could it be from dampness in an old cottage?

10. Paul Holzherr says:

Just found these in my garden in Peacehaven UK. Glad it is not a flea! Looks like one! A huge one! I left one on the deck in the sun and when I went to move it back to the soil it had died – in only about 20 seconds! Extraordinary. They seem harmless enough.

11. alison brown says:

just discovered them in our back garden under pots .. we are in Northern Ireland…my kids loved them!! we nature journal so have come inside to sketch and record our findings.

12. Diana Bilney says:

I have just moved to Cornwall and have not seen these before so had to look it up. Found a dead one so just googled ‘jumpy shrimp bug’..it worked. Now I know. Lol.

13. richard higlett says:

ive just found on in Cardiff on 1st floor, quite a large one too. Dead though.

14. Ashleigh Johnson says:

Just found one in my bathroom, I’m Nottingham East Midlands.

15. SUSAN RENISON says:

Have had them in my living room in Devon. All dead. will try moving my pots away from front door.

16. Neil says:

Loads of these in my garden in Liverpool.

17. lyyne says:

we have them here in Sussex lots of them. every day.

18. Sophie says:

I saw them in my garden at the start of summer. There are thousands.
    I read they are in the south but I live in the North East. ?

19. Sophie says:

20. Tara says:

Keep finding dead ones on the floor in my house in Northern Ireland. Glad to hear they are harmless/not a sign of a dirty home! 🙂

• Elaineflynn34@icloud.com says:

Me too I live by the sea in County Down and find them all over my house when hoovering. Particularly in the bathrooms

21. Lesley says:

Just found a couple in my garden in North London. Never seen them before so looked them up and ended up on this page. Thanks!

22. Roger says:

We have found dozens dead in our conservatory (just outside Coventry).WE have damp garden so looks like good for them – probably recent heavy rains drove them in. Must be recent arrival as no seen before this year , although wehave had the odd woodlouse. Like Lesley lloked for whatthey were and arrived here

23. Lisa Stockley says:

We moved into our house in Herne Bay, Kent almost two years ago. Our garden is paved with pots and we see dozens of lawn shrimps jumping around on the paving whenever we water the pots.

24. Lesley says:

Found several dead on our down stairs floor…in the morning…seen a few live jumping about at night..we on the Isle of Lewis and live very near the shore…do not like sharing a house with them though :/

25. Helen says:

We have spotted them in Myrtle Beach South Carolina