Arachnid Identification
Location: Lat: 33.46071 Long: -117.62400
Date: March 17, 2012
Location: San Clemente, CA, 92673
Region: Coastal Chaparral/Mediterranean
Time: 8:30 A.M.
Temp: 60-46 degrees F
Hey there, well done and useful website. Saw this big guy/gal in the A.M. about 6ft. up a wall in my dimly lit hallway, after a night and morning of rainfall. Caught it in a glass cup using a paper towel and a band to seal it up. He’s one of the largest non-widow or non-tarantula I’ve ever seen around here, and I know he isn’t dangerous in the least, yet I still don’t know exactly what species it is…
Using the camera and ruler on my phone, I took pictures and measurements of the spider. Some measurements had to be made through the glass, so the exact specifications of this individual may be in slight error…
BEHAVIOR: It seemed quite comfortable with its front sets of legs in the forward-swept and curved position when resting. Which it did a lot of, even when approached within a few inches. Any closer than about 2-3 inches would yield a quick yet minor response of a few paces away from whichever direction the annoyance was coming. Very docile and mild mannered spider when left to be observed and not touched. I sadly noticed it was missing a leg. I hope it was not from my encounter, I try to be careful, but the spider didn’t seem terrible hindered by the loss anyway. After about 20 min of obsessing over it, I released it into my garage where it will do some good and not get murdered by my family of bug-hating baboons….
COLOR: Tan to yellowish/brown hue throughout body, dark rings on joints of legs, black pattern of stacked diamonds on abdomen
Total Leg Diameter: 1.57 in
Total Abd./Thrx. Length: .3 in
Abd. Length: .13 in
Abd. Width: .11
Thanks again for reading and for the awesome site. Keep it up guys!!
Fellow bug lover,
Signature: Bryan Sheaks

Giant Crab Spider

Hi Bryan,
Thanks for the compliments.  This is one of the Giant Crab Spiders in the family Sparassidae, and we are relatively certain it is in the genus
Olios.  According to BugGuide, the genus is found in the southwestern portion of the United States, though BugGuide only covers species in North America north of Mexico.

Giant Crab Spider