First glance: Scorpion spider death machine
Location: southwest Nicaragua, Granada-ish
Hellooo, I have been seeing a lot of this bug in my location in Nicaragua. they seem to like cooler dark spaces, often up in the corners of eves, but most often lurking approximately 6-10 inches from that extremely important object you are reaching for. this one is approximately five inches wide including it’s legs but I have seen one that was at least seven inches with the longest part of it’s legs stretched. At first glance I thought it was a spider, then after seeing a couple more i realized it didn’t have the required amount of legs…my question is…what kind of damage is this sucka going to do when it releases it’s grip from under the top bunk and lands on my face?!
Signature: yazzyenna

Tailless Whipscorpion

Dear yazzyenne,
We found your letter terribly amusing.  While this Tailless Whipscorpion can be considered a “death machine”, humans do not really need to fear them.  Cockroaches and other nocturnal foragers, the typical prey of Tailless Whipscorpions, would definitely consider them to be “death machines.”  Though they are related to both spiders and scorpions, Tailless Whipscorpions have no venom.  They may deliver a painful bite if carelessly handled, but they are considered harmless. 

Location: Nicaragua

One Response to Tailless Whipscorpion from Nicaragua

1. Karen B Amy says:

So they eat roaches? Seems too good to be true.