Possible fly from Tanzania?
Location: Simanjiro, Tanzania
March 2, 2012 4:11 am
This is a little beastie that landed on me a couple of weeks ago here in the Tanzanian savanna. I realise it’s a long-shot asking for an indeitification, but I’m hoping someone can at least help with a family! It looks rather like a hoverfly type, but has an impressive ovipositor. Maybe it really is some sort of wasp? It’s pretty small – that’s my wrist it’s sitting on. Any help welcome! Thanks!
Signature: Colin

Fruit Fly

Dear Colin,
This is some species of Fruit Fly in the family Tephritidae, but we are uncertain of the species.

Thank’s very much! That’s good enough for me. Now I need to work out why…
C

Hi again Colin,
We are not certain about your pondering “why”.  If you are wondering why it landed on your arm, we suppose it was just to rest.  Flies often alight on handy surfaces that have no bearing of food source.  By the way, that is an ovipositor.

No, not why it was there, but why that group as opposed to all other fly / wasp options! The taxonomy puzzles me…
C

We can’t say anything more convincing than that they look like other members of the family.

Location: Africa