?
Location: Saint Petersburg, FL
February 12, 2012 7:43 pm
Hi Bugman,
I have a couple bugs that are tiny and white / gray in color. I believe last nights temperatures, 35f here in Saint Petersburg, FL, caused a ton of these weevils? to fall out of an oak tree that hangs over our backyard driveway.
The other picture is of something I cannot explain. I very slow moving bug that inches along with a snout that acts like a worm, dragging behind it is a flat white body that looks like white lent. They seem to travel up the walls inside the patio and garage and attach to a surface with a strand of silk and hang there until they die. The lifecycle seems strange, because I figured they would attach, coccon and molt into something, but that doesn’t seem the case. Any ideas?
Signature: WTBFan

Little Leaf Notcher Weevil

Dear WTBFan,
Your pale gray weevil is either a native Little Leaf Notcher Weevil,
Artipus floridanus, (see BugGuide), or the invasive, exotic Sri Lanka Weevil, Myllocerus undecimpustulatus, which according to BugGuide, is “similar to Artipus floridanus but has spines on the hind femur and a yellowish tint to the head.”  There is not enough detail in your photo for us to be able to say for certain which species this is, though one of our readers with more experience might be able to provide a more conclusive identification.  Your other submission is a Case Bearing Moth Larva.  

I do appreciate the response.  I read about this invasive version of the weevil through one of your responses to another reader, but only after I had already snapped the pictures, and researched bugguide (I like their visual anatomy index).  I don’t remember seeing the yellow tent, though I wasn’t looking for it, so I could have easily missed it.  As for the other submission, I just wanted to send a better picture of the 2nd bug and the source of my frustration (they come out of the floorboard / wall seemingly in enough numbers to be noticed everyday.) Again I appreciate the response, first time submitter, but I’ve known about your site for years.  Keep up the good work.
Don

Thanks Don,
Just take a look at this Case Bearing Moth Larvae situation.

Location: Florida