Winged White and Brown
Location: Cebu, Philippines
February 10, 2012 2:21 am
Hey WTB, we’ve found this bug some time ago, and it really piqued my interest since this is the first time we’ve seen something like this in our place. Thanks, and more powers to this site!
Signature: Roi

Cucumber Moth

Dear Roi,
The distinctive brown and white markings and tufted abdomen make the Melonworm Moth,
Diaphania hyalinata, unmistakeable.  According to BugGuide:  “Larvae feed on cucumber family plants: cucumber, melon, squash. Can be pests. “

Correction Courtesy of Karl
Hi Daniel Roi:
Since the location is in the Philippines I think it is more likely a related Asian species in the same genus, probably the Cucumber Moth (Diaphania indica ). This species does occur in the Philippines and its larval diet is very similar D. hyalinata. Regards.  Karl

Location: Philippines

4 Responses to Cucumber Moth, NOT Melonworm Moth from the Philippines

1. Dana says:

Found one of these on my back porch in Greeneville TN! They are getting around.

2. Robert says:

I found one exactly like this in my work shop in Haslet, Texas. Near Ft. Worth. I took pics of it and thus my reason to visit this site.

3. SW says:

Found one like this in my house in Texas City, TX. We’re right next to Galveston.

4. Stephanie M Seymour says:

Found one of these ladies sitting next to my light outside on the porch, Columbus Ohio. Never seen one of these before