”pine cone” pod
Location: Southern MO (central), just north of AR
February 4, 2012 2:29 pm
Dear Mr. Bugman,
I have just moved into a new home and hanging from the shrubs outside are little pods about 2” long and 1” wide. They look just like a seed pod and I didn’t notice them at first until I found one hanging from my deck, attached with a type of silk.
Upon further inspection, I found tons of these little pods hanging from every shrub in the yard. I have attached a picture and am immensely curious as to what they are. If you could let me know, I would be quite grateful!
Signature: Alden

Bagworms

Hi Alden,
These are the cocoons of Bagworms, a species of moth in the family Psychidae.  The caterpillars of the Bagworms begin life constructing a small bag which increases in size as the caterpillar grows.  The caterpillar eventually pupates and overwinters in the bag.  Female Bagworm moths are flightless and never leave their bags.  See BugGuide for additional information.

Location: Missouri