Two insects in the house
Location: New Jersey
February 1, 2012 9:40 pm
We have these two separate small insects in our house. Neither bites. The small winged one doesn’t appear to fly. The small ticklike one (it’s not a tick) seems to congregate around our baseboard heat. I’ve tried all the websites but haven’t come up with a name.
Thanks in advance for any info…
Signature: Elaine

Aphid

Hi Elaine,
Both of your insects are Aphids, and they are most likely the same species.  The winged individual is a sexually mature adult.  Immature aphids and females that reproduce by giving live birth to clones without the need for a mate are generally wingless.  Aphids are common pests on a wide variety of plants, including rose bushes, and you should be able to find much online information.  We often hear of Aphids being brought indoors on Christmas trees, and that could be the source of your current sightings.  You may have also brought Aphids in on plants that were brought indoors to avoid cold weather or even on fresh flowers from the florist or on fresh produce.  Aphids will not harm your home.

Aphid

Thanks so much for your quick response.  This answers alot of our questions!!

Location: New Jersey

3 Responses to Aphids found Indoors

1. Susan J. Hewitt says:

Hi Daniel. The photos are a bit blurry, but I am thinking that the little insect without wings looks like a spider beetle. It’s back end is very round, plus I see a bit of a shine reflecting off of it; spider beetles are shiny whereas aphids are not. What do you think?

Hi Susan,
      You might be right though the antennae seem short for a Spider Beetle. We still feel more strongly that this is an Aphid. Sadly the photo is too blurry to be certain.

2. Susan J. Hewitt says:

Ah yes, I see what you mean! I think you are right.