What is this?
Location: Lower New York
February 1, 2012 7:24 am
Hi, Do you know what kind of bug this is? I get them occasionally in the den of my house, but lately much more than usual. I have noticed it puts out a strong odor when messed with sometimes. I live in NY, in Westchester County, just above Manhattan.
Signature: Andrew

Brown Marmorated Stink Bug

Greetings Andrew,
This is a Brown Marmorated Stink Bug, an invasive species introduced from China that has become established in North America.  Brown Marmorated Stink Bugs frequently seek shelter indoors as the weather begins to cool.  We also have many native species of Stink Bugs and there are other True Bugs that seek shelter indoors during the winter.  They will not harm the home or its occupants, however, if plentiful, they can become a nuisance.  We featured links to these hibernating Hemipterans in our Bug of the Month feature for January 2012.

Thank you!  Cool, I thought it was a carpet bug.  Which to me sounds worse, but these stink bugs stink and are annoying.

Location: New York