metalmark or something else? And infected haploas
Location: Kane County, Illinois
Hi bugman,
Wondering what this small (maybe half inch) butterfly is? I thought it was a Nais Metalmark but the patterns are slightly off and the Nais metalmark doesn’t live anywhere near me… I found this butterfly in a prairie next to a small pond. It allowed me to get really close to snap the pic. It was mid may but really hot. … Thanks guys!
Signature: Sam

Bronze Copper

Hi Sam,
Since your two requests are unrelated, we are splitting your email into two distinct postings and dealing with them separately.  Your butterfly is not a Nais Metalmark.  It is one of the Coppers in the genus
Lycaena.  At first we thought it might be the American Copper, but the markings on the undersides of the lower wings more closely resembles the markings on the Bronze Copper, Lycaena hyllus, based on photographs posted to BugGuide, so we believe that is the correct identification.  The Bronze Copper also ranges in Illinois according to the data map on BugGuide.

Location: Illinois