what is this ??
Location: SE. Florida, Ft.Pierce
January 25, 2012 10:44 am
Dear Bugman, I found this flat bug in my bathroom, in S.E. FL. in January,
It is about the size and shape of a watermelon seed, speckled grey and black, it has a long thin head that appears to poke out and pull itself along. I have attached two photo’s
thanks for yur help.
Ray
Signature: Ray in FLA

Case Bearing Moth Larva

Dear Ray,
This is such a wonderfully detailed image of a Case Bearing Moth Larva.  While they might be considered as Household Pests that could damage organic fibers like wool, they are most likely benign and feeding off shed pet hair, human hair and other organic debris like food crumbs in the home.  The case is made of silk and incorporated particulate matter.

WOW, That was a fast response, Thank you for clearing that up. we called it a flounder bug., left it alone last night as we went to bed, When we woke up she was gone..
thanks again, great service you have.
Have a great day.
Ray

Location: Florida

10 Responses to Case Bearing Moth Larva

1. Shane says:

If you find one of these case bearing moth larva does it mean you’l find more? How do you rid you home of them?

2. Shane says:

What do they grow into?

3. marian says:

One just stung me, should I be worried?

4. Kathie says:

I am being attacked daily by case making clothes moth. I must have hundreds in my house. I can’t feel them bite, but they have destroyed my skin. They bite in a line on my arms and face and leave a huge welt. They are definitely a pest to be worried about, as they seem to like a blood meal. I was told my diabetes attracts them to me. They are also eating my hair! Any suggestions on repellant would be greatly appreciated. I kill the larvae with Thuricide. Adults are a little harder to kill. I use Imidacloprid. (Bayer advanced-complete insect killer). Both are available at home depot.

5. Mia says:

Katie I feel this is what is eating me as well. do they look like a flea but bigger on walls? I also have a round black parasites bug with 6 legs in my arm. Please any help would be appreciated. I live in Kentucky by Cincinnati. The brown ones are always in bathroom. I suspect the moisture in bathroom and basement drawing these in. hello please miain KY 48 Gmail

6. Julie Harrington says:

Where are they indiginous to? Do they bite, suck blood, and/or leave itchy welts? Thank you!!!

7. Rachel lynn says:

I just found one of the case moth larvea hanging on my paper towel roll when I picked it up it wasn’t afraid of me and just was picking all the way out I was so concerned to what it looked like that I opened the little pouch it was hiding in and found the little worm inside so freaking amazing what lives in this world. I’ve always thought it was some bug that left an egg sack that I simply just flicked it down the sick. Now I know what they are and will just put it outside. Thanks for the information. No need to be afraid of them. They don’t bite.

8. Patsy Weber says:

mine are outside on my blackberry vines…are they harmful to the plant? should I destroy them?