Grasshopper or Cricket?
Location: Portugal
January 23, 2012 6:21 am
Dear WTB,
This little fellow was drowning in the pool… I rescued him and he was very kind to let me take a shot.
He is missing one of his horns.
This was taken in plain Summer, August.
Signature: Diogo Ferreira

Cricket from Portugal

Hi again Diogo,
This is indeed a Cricket, and the coloration is somewhat unusual, but we haven’t had any luck finding any matching photos on the internet.  The web search produced many more hits of the sport with the same name.  What you have called horns are actually sensory organs known as antennae.  Also, we believe your “he” is a she.  Though the depth of field is quite shallow and the rear portion of the body is not clearly visible, it appears that there is a stingerlike ovipositor, the egg laying organ of many insects including Crickets.

Update:  Thanks to Cesar Crash for finding a link to Gryllus campestris, which looks very much like the Cricket in question.

Thank you once again for all of your help.
You’re site is amazing as well as all the detailed information about bugs.
I didn’t realize indeed that it was a she!
Thank’s for all,
Diogo Ferreira

You are welcome Diogo,
Please read Cesar Crash’s comment to this posting on gender and nouns in Portuguese.

Location: Portugal

8 Responses to Cricket from Portugal

1. Cesar Crash says:

Just a curiosity: In Portuguese, every cricket, grasshopper or beetle is HE, and every ant, moth or butterfly is SHE. It’s not the sex of the animal, it is the sex of the noun (!?). Wall is he, floor is she, sky is he, earth is she. It is a little hard for us to get used to say IT for animals, and much more hard for people who speak English to learn which noun is male or female.

2. Cesar Crash says:

First I found this PDF with a list of species found in Portugal.
    http://portal.icnb.pt/NR/rdonlyres/1B614762-ED21-425A-8B39-757CC8F8AB87/0/PNDI_Rel_Entom_Out07.pdf
    Then I searched the Gryllidae species in Google. The second in the list is Gryllus campestris.

3. anxo says:

Its a male of gryllus campestris, you can find in the Iberic peninsula 2 variations of gryllus campestris, the first is the shown in the Photo, you can find it in the mid and south of the peninsula, His lower wins are longer than the upside wins so you can think that it was the ovipositor but it is not, In the other variant the lower wins are shorter and are not possible to see behind the upside wins. You can find it in mid and north part of peninsula iberica. The female has not yellow colour in the wins in any both kinds. Thank you for this good photo.

Thank you so much for your comment. The information about the wings taking on the appearance of an ovipositor is fascinating.

4. Cesar Crash says:

Wow! So it turned into a “he” again!